Ok, this is not "true" Hoppin' John as I am making some blasphemous additions and subtractions (namely minus the fatback). But I am a Vegetarian that eats fish (Pescetarian) and occasionally nibbles on pork products when they are presented to me, but that is another story. Worst. Vegetarian. Ever.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil+ 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16-ounce can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 tablespoon of favorite hot sauce (Tobasco, etc...)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups (+/-) cooked rice. Basmati, Jasmine or Brown rice would all work very well.
- 16-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Sauté the onions over medium heat until translucent and soft.
Add the garlic and celery and continue to sauté until the onions are golden.
Stir in the tomatoes, basil, thyme, hot sauce, hot pepper (cook until melded, approx 5-8 min)
Add the rice and black-eyed peas, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir and simmer half covered, over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Notes: You could serve the rice and beans separately, spooning the beans over the rice. Or omit the rice and serve the beans over polenta (yum).