Thursday, January 15, 2009

(MarieFinds) Diapers

Miles and miles of diapers. I (note, not "we". The Lawyer had nothing to do with this decision, though he whole heartedly endorses it now.) made the decision to go with cloth diapers for the Super Squirrel. I have no regrets. I don't regret it now, with two kids, either. But, really. Oh. My. God. All I ever do is freaking laundry. Poor me. Seriously, the economics of it make complete sense. I can't justify the money on disposable diapers or a service. It feels like throwing money away. But WOW. I forgot how many diapers a newborn goes through. And I have to wash them all... At least breast milk poo is no big whoop.

Jess recently asked me this question: How is potty training going? Cloth diapering w/ two kids? Spill.

Seriously, doing a load of diapers is no big deal. It takes about 20 minutes, and I wash the load a few times. once in cold, once in hot and an extra rinse cycle to keep the soap off their little butts. Poopy diapers get scraped / scrubbed in the toilet first. The main issue is volume. With one kid I was doing 2-3 loads a week. Now it is about 4. Ouch. Plus other laundry.

Potty training largely stalled when the Boy came home. Along with the start of thumbsucking. She's finally showing interest again, but my dreams of having her potty trained before I go back to work have gone up in ... diapers.

No comments: