Friday, November 7, 2008

[JessFinds] Thinking hurts

I have been so impressed with the reactions to President-Elect Obama. Overwhelmingly, the people I know are enthusiastic about "what can I do?" to better the world we live in? They are moved to assist our new president in succeeding. I am thrown for a loop. I have never seen people so riled up to DO something. Suddenly, being a good American means taking (gasp) responsibility? Wow.

I don't know what to do. I think a lot of us don't know what to do. We don't exactly have the spirit of volunteerism running in our current gene pool. But we all want to keep the momentum going. We want whatever Obama inspired in us to continue past a few days. We want to believe we are part of something bigger than ourselves, that we can help build history and not just watch it happen. I think we are all a little nervous that it will fade. That business will go back to usual and all of this will be a distant memory.

I think we all want to be community organizers but have no idea what that means or how to begin.

----

This is going to be a lean Christmas for our family, which I am perfectly ok with. I think it is a good year to start modeling a sense of awe, charity and maybe start forming some traditions.

I saw a commercial that Old Navy is offering hats and scarves for $1 this weekend. How great would it be to go buy up some hats and scarves and donate them to a shelter? I might buy some up and use them for crafts when Crab has her preschool buddies over for a Christmas party.

Which brings me to the Christmas party. I am thinking that it would be fun to get a couple of cheap crafts, bake some cookies, put some cider on the stove and have some kids and parents over when the house is decorated.

No comments: