Saturday, August 30, 2008

[JessFinds] My take

I have had a few days to digest all of the political excitement. I think the DNC was pretty much what I expected. There were some great highlights paired with the typical infomercial stylings of a convention. Sen. Clinton was gracious and appeared genuine even if she was still seething inside. A unified front is very likely. There is some good momentum. Obama's speech at the stadium was really good - I have no idea how that man is so at ease with speaking to such a large group, so eloquently without looking down at notes or teleprompters. He gets knocked a lot for being charismatic, but you got to give the man credit for being a brilliant orator.

As for the McCain choice of VP, at first I was really horribly shocked. I actually believe John McCain is a great man, I just disagree with his politics and don't particularly want him as my president. But his choice of VP knocked him down many a peg in my humble opinion. It has got to be an act of desperation, an attempt to play out the maverick role - a Hail Mary so to speak. Senator McCain can not possibly think that women are that stupid and that Hilary supporters were only voting for her vagina and not her politics. If his team actually thought there was some hope by choosing the Gov. of Alaska he would be able to grab some of the disenfranchised Hilary supporters, they are out of their minds. Completely out of touch. I am no big fan of Hilary Clinton but Gov. Palin is not ever going to be an acceptable Hilary substitute. They are polar opposites. Of all the solid choices that were available to him, Palin? A Hail Mary. It is the only reasonable answer.

Republicans complained about Obama's lack of experience - that was one of their strongholds. And now Palin? I almost feel sorry for her having to go up against Joe Biden in the debates. He will need to hold back or risk backlash for trouncing her. Obama has called for a clean campaign (Wouldn't that be nice? A campaign that actually stuck to issues?) and does not seem all that interested in dragging McCain or Palin through the mud. His higher road has been paying out for him, I hope he sticks with it. The only people McCain is convincing with his attack ads are people who would already vote for McCain.

And there you have it.

I consider myself an intelligent, informed voter. I understand the political process. I was a political science major in college. But I have been apathetic since 1992. I felt so removed from the process, so uninspired. I am in love with this election year because it seems like people are starting to come out of their comas and care about the direction our country is going. This is good. It is needed. George Bush has destroyed our good name globally. Any change will be a step in the right direction. No matter what the end result is - and I am pulling firmly for the Obama camp and I do believe he is going to be our President - I think this election year has done more for bringing politics back to the dinner table than any other year I have been eligible to vote. That makes me feel like it is good to be an American.

No comments: