Sunday, June 6, 2010

[JessFinds] Working with tahini

Divine Sauce for Cold Sesame Noodles

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup tahini
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dark Chinese-style sesame oil
2 tbsp hot chile oil (or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 inch piece grated ginger


Put the peanut butter and tahini in a saucepan and heat slowly until melted. Add soy sauce, oils, vinegar and ginger. Add water slowly till you get a smooth paste (I ended up using about 1/2 cup). Pour the sauce over the noodles and mix thoroughly. Chill for at least an hour prior to serving. Garnish w/ peanuts, scallions, cucumbers, carrots, bean sprouts
###

Ok, so I tried the above recipe today and I am not very impressed. Something went awry. Not sure what it was, but it tastes a little ... off? Bitter? Not sure. I am using whole grain thin spagetti noodles. I have everything sitting in the fridge right now, melding. Maybe it just needs to be cold.

When cooking the peanut butter & tahini together, it looked very good. But then the soy, sesame oil and vinegar were added and it kind of separated a bit, did not look nearly as creamy and bonded. Who knows. I will give it a shot and report back in a few hours when I attempt to serve it to my family!
 ###

Later that very same day ... ugh. Too icky. I must have done something wrong. I am making up a huge pot of coconut jasmine rice to make up for the fact that my sesame noodles just ended up sticky and gross.

No comments: