Monday, February 15, 2010

[JessFinds] Droning on about my newest obsession

Let me tell you what a giant nerd I am.

I am sooo excited about my letterpress class! Our first class covered the basics of the machine (a Vandercook) and the metal typeset process. Such time and detail goes in to setting type - no wonder it costs a fortune to have letterpress work done. Our homework this week is to come up with some sort of design for an 8.5 x 11 paper space. It will be turned in to a negative and then we will expose it on photopolymer in a lightbox. Then we get to run our poly through the machine! Did I mention I am excited?

This was a very cool 12th anniversary present. It is something that Preacher and I can do together and something that I have always wanted to do. The workshop we are taking is very affordable and right around the corner from an excellent ale house. Letterpress followed by a beer for 3 Saturdays in a row!

In other news...

I am putting together the Mad Hatter's Tea Party for Gonzo's 3rd birthday. It is coming together very nicely.  I have giant multi-colored tissue pomanders to hang above the "tea table" along with paper lanterns and other whimsy. I found a few completely oddball teapots at Home Goods for $3 and $4 a piece on clearance (such luck!) and have scavanged a few teacup and saucer sets from thrift shops. There will be six little girls here for the party. A very manageable group for a winter day! I will take lots of photos. The party is this Sunday - I can't wait to make all those tea sandwiches.

1 comment:

Jane Priest said...

THAT will be a cute party. Want plenty of pics.