Thursday, December 3, 2009

[JessFinds] My Five Favorite Holiday Activities w/ the Kids


 Our Mardi Gras stockings ... hung by the chimney with care!

I am a sucker for the holiday season - and it is not about the presents (although, those are not to shabby!). It is all about how it smells and looks and feels for me. I am trying to pass that on to my girls too. What do you like to do with your kids during the holidays? TwitterMoms and Nickelodeon have paired up with this blogging question as part of the Dora Christmas Carol Premier. Gonzo is a Dora nut, so here are my five favorite activities:


One. I love to take my girls to a local historic mansion that gets decked out for the holidays. Each room is custom themed and there is nothing more awe-inspiring than walking in to a giant entry room and seeing a 2 story Christmas tree. It is a wonderful way to kick off the season.

Two. We set up our own "themed" Christmas Tree the week after Thanksgiving. Our theme is a bit unconventional: Mardi Gras! Our living room becomes a purple, gold and green wonderland. The girls love (gently) helping me place ornaments. Sorry my Advent purists! We love getting that tree up.

Three. Bedroom trees. The girls get to have their own mini-trees in their bedrooms. Usually this is some sort of sparkly girlie tree. Gonzo has a pink theme. Crab has a purple theme.


Four. ALL of the holiday movies! Now that the girls are old enough to sit through (and still young enough to appreciate all the music) I am all about Holiday Inn, White Christmas, etc... They love watching the old Rudolph movie and Jack Frost too.

Five. Cooking and Crafts. I let the girls go nuts with glitter, glue and all the messmakers this time of year. It allows them to transition to "indoor" activities. I do the same thing with cooking - the girls love sitting on the counter top and helping (ok, semi-helping) me make pumpkin bread or cupcakes or cookies.

So ... what are yours?

No comments: