Wednesday, November 18, 2009

[JessFinds] Y'all come back now. Y'hear?

I just returned from South Carolina, where people are scary-nice. It always throws me when I visit the South after being away for a long time. So nice. So incredibly friendly. Gracious. Go-out-of-their-way nice. Quick say hello, quick to compliment and quick to have a laugh. I am jaded just enough to wonder what is behind the gushing sweetness and I wonder if I am just one step away from being on the receiving end of a "Bless her heart, BUT ... " statement.

It is not like that in New England. People here are brusque and frequently rude. It takes a long time to get to know folks. Once you do, you realize they have a wikked good sense of humor and are quite warm. But that does take a while. Yankee bootstrap stuff - still figuring it out.  I guess the good thing is that, for the most part, you get what you see.

I prefer my West Coast easy humor and roll-with-it surfer attitude coupled with Pacific NW pioneer politeness and general rugged friendliness. But then again, I am from there. As I have said before on this blog - I am a Doug Fir.  I probably romanticize the NW way more than I should.

Crab was born in the South. Just because the cat had kittens in the oven, does not make them biscuits.

No comments: