Tuesday, January 27, 2009

(MarieFinds) When Foffee Turns to Coffee

Sometimes motherhood feels like a series of small treasures lost and found. I have mourned the passing of a million little phases and quirks. For months, I thought the best thing in the world was the way my daughter said coffee. "Foffee". "Mamma Foffee. Daddy Foffee. Hugh Foffee." (She is unable to say her own name, and so has dubbed herself "hugh". I think it comes from everyone calling her "you").

And last week, we lost foffee. It is now coffee. This is a good thing. It's a sign of her growth and expanding vocabulary. But I miss Foffee.

But enough about foffee. I also mourned when she started to sit up and crawl, because I knew I was losing my snuggly baby. The first time her hands turned rough from crawling, I almost cried, because I knew they would never be soft newborn hands again.

So, what little milemarkers made you sad as they slipped away?

No comments: