Saturday, July 5, 2008

[JessFinds] Brockton Carnies


In Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Austin Powers tells Basil Exposition that he is afraid of only two things – nuclear war and "Carnies. Circus Folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands."

I thought it would be fun to take the kids to the Brockton Fair (134 years in the running!) on the 4th of July. And it was fun. In a take-your-life-in-your-own-hands sort of way. If Preacher had not been with me, I can't say I would have pulled in to the fairgrounds. It had a strange vibe. There were more carnies than fairgoers. And it was not an agricultural fair like the ones of my youth, it was a full-fledged carnival fair. Endless stretches of rusty rides and tweakers on parole running said rusty rides. Preacher said it was the kind of place you kept a close eye on your kids, because someone would try to take them.

Highlight: At the entrance there was a great petting zoo with a ton of goats, which is enough to make me happy. Give me goats and funnel cake and I am a happy girl.

The rest of the place had a bit of a hostile vibe. Lost Boys subculture. We joked that it felt a bit like we stumbled upon a Carnie Coven. Felt safer in a few 3rd world countries. There we are all chubby and wholesome with our adorable children and our double stroller -- we look like a walking white picket fence.

I have always found subcultures sexy though. American pirates. SCA die-hards, carnies, kitchen and waitstaff (I read Kitchen Confidential and fell in love with Anthony Bourdain and now I can't get enough of No Reservations, his Travel Channel show. He is definitely my favorite modern pirate).

I am so curious as to the story behind people. Especially when it is tainted by a seedy underbelly.

In other news, I feel a HECK of a lot better today! First day I have felt pretty good in over a week. I think I have the Ebola beat.

Preacher is at Home Depot with Miss Crab. They have Saturday youth programs once in a while. Today they are building a birdhouse. She has an orange apron w/ her name on it. Pretty cute.

No comments: