Monday, June 2, 2008

[JessFinds] Fun with Bolsters

To answer Sarah's question: For the most part if you are not (1) overweight (2) intoxicated or (3) otherwise impaired it is relatively safe to co-sleep with an infant. It is safer to sleep with the infant between a mom and a bolster than it is to sleep between two parents. A bolster is less likely to be "unpredictable." And it is not a knock against dads, but they are just not as keenly aware of their surroundings. Mom's do tend to have an innate sense of where their infant is at all times - kind of creepy actually. Dr. Sears, who I am not a follower of but I respect his body of work, has some interesting studies on how co-sleeping actually reduces the risk of SIDs in infants. Something about the mother and baby facing each other, the mother's rythmic breathing stimulates the infant's rythmic breathing. Interesting stuff - I am sure it can be googled. I am too lazy to post links.

Marie added via comment: Squirell slept with us until she was 6 months old. And slept between us except on those nights the Lawyer came to bed after having one too many drinks. (not all that often, but it WAS 6 months...). Then she slept b/t me and a pillow on my side of the bed. Yes, we did roll over on her once or twice, but they do make quite a bit of ruccus... I think you would have to be drunk / drugged to miss the sound. Much like an awake infant squeaks if you squeeze it too tight... I think overall we were lighter sleepers with her in the bed, which is one reason why co-sleeping isn't for everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We co-slept with both our babies, and then successfully moved them into cribs/beds around one year old. Co-sleeping is the best, especially with nursing. I'm not sure how I'm going to co-sleep with twins, though!

--Jessica S

Sarah K. said...

So, what do you do with the covers? I'd be more worried about my big duvet smothering the wee one that me rolling over. This is fascinating! :)

JessFinds said...

You learn to sleep with your covers at your waist and the baby mostly above the waist, I guess! I am a big fan of the oversize fluffy comforter but I believe we simplified to a coverlet. It is funny, you just sort of figure out what works for you and the babe. It does not seem very complicated at the time, you are just careful.

Sarah, I think your biological clock is ticking. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Ding!