Thursday, May 29, 2008

[JessFinds] Baby Product Reviews - Sleeping!

My girls are past this stage, but I have a lot of friends with new little ones.

This first product is one of my favorites - I can not say enough good things about having a little portable bed to throw in the back of the car for short trips. This folds downin to a diaper bag (and can be used as a diaper bag too). Gonzo slept in one of these for almost 2 weeks last summer when we visited my mom in Oregon. It is just nice to have an instant place to put the baby down for a nap without the heavy gear or scary "pillow arranging." I highly (5 star) recommend one of these. For newborns - infants up to 28"L. www.OneStepAhead.com / $40
Update: I just found something that looks remarkably similar at CollectionsEtc for only $20.


This is something I wish I had with both of my girls (that and a king bed). My husband and I are not, err, petite, so we always feel like a queen size bed is snug. This would have been awesome on a King size for us. Gonzo took to the family bed idea like a fish to water - she never really liked her bassinet. This is called the "Humanity Family Bed Top" and it is $200 bucks but I bet you could recoop a lot of that by reselling on Craigslist or eBay. It can be used as a bedrail for a toddler later and can be used as a pregnancy pillow (if you ever decide to go through it again!)


This is a bolster that serves the same function as above and has the same uses. It goes under the sheet on the side of the bed (cool idea) and retails for $130.









I am not a big fan of these "middle of the bed" cuddle-nest dealies. We had one with Miss Crab and while we used it (all the time) I always felt like there was this big hard box in my bed. Oh yeah. There was.


2 comments:

Sarah K. said...

Um. What is the bolster thingy for? To keep the baby from rolling off the bed? How do you keep yourself from rolling on the baby? Or is that just instinctual. I have so much to learn.

Anonymous said...

Squirell slept with us until she was 6 months old. And slept between us except on those nights the Lawyer came to bed after having one too many drinks. (not all that often, but it WAS 6 months...). Then she slept b/t me and a pillow on my side of the bed. Yes, we did roll over on her once or twice, but they do make quite a bit of ruccus... I think you would have to be drunk / drugged to miss the sound. Much like an awake infant squeaks if you squeeze it too tight... I think overall we were lighter sleepers with her in the bed, which is one reason why co-sleeping isn't for everyone.