Wednesday, March 19, 2008

(JessFinds) Holy Week is a lot of work

I finally snapped today. I have been sitting at my computer, working working working. I swear, all I do is edit content for the new site. It is getting ridiculous. My back hurts from slumping. I need the diocese to buy me an ergonomically correct chair. Or perhaps an ergonomically correct back. 

So I decided I would attack the nasty child-care room at church. Easter is this Sunday which means a lot of people who normally don't show up for church may be there. They might bring their young children. I would hesitate to leave my kid in that room if I was new. 

I filled a giant black contractor bag with gross toys. I deep cleaned all of the ones that I determined "ok" for further use. It was so awesome. I need to do that at my own house. I was armed with Lysol spray and disinfecting wipes. The childcare room is supposed to be for the toddlers, so most of the kids are 3 and under. There were toys and things in there that have NO business being in the hands of toddlers. 

Tonight I went to the pharmacy and bought age appropriate "art" supplies, crayons, coloring books, paper. I threw out paints and the permanent markers and other odd stuff (who would paint with a kid wearing their Sunday best?).  I also found some new blocks, a Mr. Potato Head and some other cute toys to help replenish the ones I tossed. 

I also went through 2 giant bins of awesome baby toys that belonged to Miss Crab. I picked out the stuff I wanted to save for Baby Gonzo and took the rest to the childcare. 

It floors me that people will donate the most disgusting, messed up toys and think they are doing the church a favor. There was a giant troll doll in there that looked like it was thrown under a bus, attacked by a clown and then left in a dog kennel. That is not a donation worthy toy. That is garbage.

Later: I just re-read this post and laughed. Man I am a sell-out. Cleaning church daycare rooms... I used to be so cool-ish and now I am one of those people who talks about when I was supposedly cool. 

No comments: